Friday, December 19, 2014

In Training 2 Write or Prompt the First


As a runner trains for a marathon, so a writer needs to train. 

Last year, I created a blog on tumblr for the purpose of practicing writing and it was incredibly helpful.

Crafting a 750 word story based on a Writer’s Digest Your Story prompt was a blast. The result of that had a big pay-off for me because I discovered writing prompts can yield marketable stories I never thought I would write. Something I never considered until I set-out to write for money.

The article, "50 Writing Prompts for Every Part of Your Brain," by Writer’s Digest Staff July/August 2014 gave me a great idea. Do writing practice based on these prompts and put it on your blog!  Well, I may not post the stories on the blog, but I can encourage others to be in training to write.

 Unfortunately, the article is not available online. I’m starting with number one, but I may not go in order. Here it is:

"Go to a public place and watch a young couple interact—but remain out of earshot. Based on visual clues alone, write the conversation the couple is having."

If you write a short story based on one of the prompts and would like me to read it, use the email button. If you have a g+ account, you can paste it in the comments below.

You can follow me on:


I use the hashtag InTraining2Write for these posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment